[lbo-talk] Thomas Friedman is a fathead

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 21:47:38 PDT 2008

Terrorism bubble? Apart from the inanity of thinking that Iraq war was good in any way, what on earth is a terrorism bubble? Terror futures are overvalued? Terrorists have over-extended themselves trying to blow up more people than their credit will allow? Terrorsts have manifested irrational exhuberance in supposing that their crimes will achiewve their ends, the Caliphate, the liberation of whoha from whatnot? Terrorists have developed such overwhelmingly intricate weapons of mass destruction that they can no longer keep track of the effect these will have in the geopolitical market in fanaticism?

And the Iraq war helped somehow to make terrorists more rational, maybe because it gave them a huge and fairly localized target (the US occupation forces) within easy reach that they could attack in ways that would make sense to anyone with resources taht they had to hand?

Or maybe Friedman just says these things, in the spirit of Harry Frankfurt's definition of bullshit, without even caring whether they make any sense and assuming that we won't care either.