[lbo-talk] those troublesome clerics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 22 07:15:00 PDT 2008

[from The Note]

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is set to dominate a news cycle or two -- starting with a new pastor problem.

Meet Pastor Rod Parsley, whom the McCain campaign was more than happy to trot out as an endorser in February: "As the senior pastor of the World Harvest Church in Columbus, Ohio, Parsley has made no secret of his feelings that Islam is the enemy," ABC's Brian Ross reported on "Good Morning America" Thursday.

Two choice Parsley quotes: "Islam is an anti-Christ religion that intends through violence to conquer the world." And: "America was founded in part with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed and I believe September 11th, 2001 was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore."

Contrast that with McCain on the trail: "Our goal must be to win the hearts and minds of the vast majority of moderate Muslims who do not want their future controlled by a minority of violent extremists."

Per the campaign, McCain "obviously strongly rejects" those statements -- but Ross reported that aides won't say whether McCain knew of Parsley's views before he sought the endorsement, and praised him as a "spiritual guide."

Then there's more from the Hagee files. As reported by Huffington Post's Sam Stein, Rev. John Hagee thinks Hitler was fulfilling God's will.