[lbo-talk] Rove map

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 22 14:35:58 PDT 2008

On May 21, 2008, at 8:38 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I agree with Jerry, which is why I've reduced my
> reading of LBO to quick peeks at a sampling of posts. Even shag's
> posts
> are beginning to be eye-closers.
>
> It's going to be a dreary year for politics and political discussion.

Why is it so hard to process several things at once? Elections don't necessarily change much, though they make some difference on some things - yet they shape the way that most people think about politics? Sometimes you remind me of my college roommate, a very spacy poet who eventually became a follower of the Guru Maharaji and later a homeopathic therapist, who, a year into Watergate, on seeing a NYT headline, asked: "What tapes?" But he made no pretense of being politically engaged. How can you hope to matter in any way politically when you're so disengaged from what most people think of as actual political discourse? Oh, I guess there's your deus ex machina theory - shit just happens, and there's not much you can do about it.

Doug