[lbo-talk] SEIU staff union not happy

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Fri May 23 22:34:31 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Someone sent me a PDF of a resolution by the staff union within SEIU
> objecting to management's (i.e., Andy Stern's) actions against United
> Healthcare Workers West (i.e., cracking down on their independence
> for the chutzpah of criticizing management for being too friendly
> with the boss). The staff union says the repressive actions violate
> their contract with Stern & Co. Unfortunately, it's a scanned
> document, so I can't copy and paste the text here, but I've posted it
> here for anyone who wants to read it:

UUR's complaint is that their contract prohibits international staff from becoming involved in organizing drives of local union staff members -- Appendix D from the letter. They see hypocrisy in the fact that SEIU "may" be asking them to get involved in local union issues, a potential violation of Appendix D. I certainly wouldn't read this as wholesale solidarity with the criticisms and position of UHW.

FYI used to be a member of UUR, which represents International field staff, back in the day. Currently I am a member of OPEIU Local 2, which represents HQ staff.