[lbo-talk] Rove map

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Sat May 24 16:53:24 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I can remember nobody on this list ever writes about the
> kinds of elections that we can actually make a difference in . Why?
> Because presidential elections are part of our star culture and
> school board elections are not , and thus they are not important
> enough for important intellectuals to pay attention to. We would
> rather talk about the stars and celebrities of politics, and the
> stars and celebrities of other television dramas because they are
> part of the inculcation of ideological branding of our culture and
> that is what it matters. Doug and Dennis and the rest who think
> that this kind of star "politics" is important are simply indulging
> in the same kind of thinking as personality cultists around Obama.
> It is the same kind of politics of "branding" and the politics of
> "star" hierarchy and the politics of celebrity worship.

Interesting view, that the election is the leftist intellectual's American Idol. ;) (If I understand you correctly.)

If true, then maybe discussing the election is like watercooler talk: everyone knows something about it, so it's a universal shared interest. Even those who don't care about it can follow along.

Tayssir