[lbo-talk] The War Nerd on the Baby Bomb

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon May 26 11:26:35 PDT 2008

Michael Pollak wrote:
> I found this enjoyable and fascinating:
>
> http://www.alternet.org/story/86451/
>
> It starts out breathlessly politically incorrect -- and then somehow ends
> up as politically correct as you could be: the only solution is to make
> poor countries rich, and realize that all immigration is really about
> culture.
It depends what kind of soution you're looking for. If you want to stop immigration, of course, the only solution is to make it desirable for people to stay home. I will attest to the fact that emigration is horrendous and that I would have much rather stayed in Romania if life had been half-way possible there. Beautiful country, beautiful language, and....Home, for me.

But, if you're looking for a solution to maintaining the class system, then you want immigration because it splits the working class. This is something not mentioned in an otherwise amusing and well-written article.

Joanna