[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 26 14:26:36 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Why should looking at the world from the underside of an
> automobile make you wiser than someone who reads, writes, and talks
> for a living?

That auestion is far less interesting than the question of _why_ someone should _believe_ that to be the case? Why assume _either_ the professor or the mechanic is more or less "wise" than the other?

The assumption itself is an expression of identity politics! Unfortunately, for 150 years working-class politics have not been class politics but idenitity politics, the assumption being that class gives identity, and that "working class"is an identity, a classification that gives knowledge of the items in that classification as individual items. This is true of the class "bumblebee," as I pointed out recently, but it is not true of the category/class, "working class."

Carrol