[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 28 11:30:39 PDT 2008

shag wrote:

> i'm sure it's all been useful, but whatever engels was up to -- i don't
> know -- charles' point had to do with ontology and epistemology, not h-d
> theory. ditto the po. mos.

Threads do wander, sometimes destructively as in the case of the thread on unproductive labor, but often fruitfully.

I'm interested in knocking down really ignorant throwing around of "postmodern" and related terms; also, I think of "The Academy" somewhat as Marx tought of Ricardo. _I_ (ME, COX) can and will say lots of nasty things about it, but I get angry when those ignorant of its complexity throw kneejerk slams at it.

But I'm even _more_ interested in developing revolutionary thinking and practice, and that does involve getting a grip on several useful senses of the word "theory," one of which senses is the strong sense that in different ways both Jerry and I are chasing.

I think Charlwes depends too much on repeating formulations in English of the 19th century and coming from various contexts in the thought of Marx & Engels. I would rather see such quotation when useful come at the END of an argument, rather that at the beginning or as an argument in and of itself.

Carrol