[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Wed May 28 12:39:34 PDT 2008

Carrol wrote:

> But I'm even _more_ interested in developing revolutionary thinking
> and
> practice, and that does involve getting a grip on several useful
> senses
> of the word "theory," one of which senses is the strong sense that in
> different ways both Jerry and I are chasing.

If the meaning of Marx's claim that the working class is the "universal" class is accurately elaborated in the interpretive argument I just repeated, then the claim seems to have been mistaken, doesn't it?

What evidence is there that the capitalist labour process has worked to develop in those subjected to it the powers and will Marx claimed it would?

My understanding is that your own idea of the working class as the potentially revolutionary class differs from the idea I'm attributing to Marx. What is the superior kind of "revolutionary thinking and practice" to which it leads?

Ted