[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 30 13:00:58 PDT 2008

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> I tend to agree with Carrol about the ruthlessness of the current imperial
> system, but I think the increase in ruthlessness is not simply a matter of
> more murderous technology but rather is more systematic and "necessary" in
> order to "integrate" today's imperial system.

As Guthrie noted, "Some will rob you with a six-gun / And some with a fountain pen." The Romans demanded their tribute, but like Guthrie's outlaw did not so often drive the couple from their home. Ellen Meiksins Wood on the British in Ireland in the late 16th c. is good on the difference between capitalist plunder and mere plunder.

Carrol