[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Sat May 31 06:54:21 PDT 2008

Jerry Monaco wrote:
>There might exist "political theorists" in this world but where is there
>such a thing as "a theory of politics" that is worthy the name theory?
>Unlike physics, we need no special training to understand politics or
>history. We do not need "a theory" to understand the political world,
>though a strong "world view" within an historical tradition, worked through
>with other people is a necessity.

Are you saying that no political theory is good enough? Or that political theory is not possible? Saying that political theories aren't very good isn't really proof that political theory is impossible. All sciences go through bad patches.

So, what I'm getting here is that political and social life conforms to no laws and/or is so obvious on the face of it that it requires no special investigation or study. Well, I suppose that explains why I disagree with your posts on other things. Heh, since we were on the subject, some irritating Mao for ya, 'no investigation, no right to speak.'

Jenny Brown