[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 31 08:21:36 PDT 2008

I'm working on a much longer post focusing on Jerry's phrase, "misuse of the word." Though I agree with Jerry on the need, in some contexts, of a very narrow use of the term "theory," I do not agree that this need should in any way limit the (necesary) use of the word in quite different senses in other contexts. We do have to keep useful disputes over categories of human knowledge from being distorted by squabbles over how a _word_ 'should' be used. For the most part, any word 'should' be used in any damn way any given speaker wants to use it. There are just too many species and genera out there in the world for each to have a name unique to it. The critical theorists were quite correct to speak of critical theory -- that was NOT a misuse of the word. Arguments over critical theory should not be arguents over word usage. Similarly, arguments over the relationship of theory and practice should not be squabbles over how word usage.

Carrol