[lbo-talk] competence, not ideology ... again

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 3 17:13:47 PST 2008

B. wrote:
> Personally, I hope for maybe a watered down FDR (on domestic policy, not nuking Japan and internment camps, etc.), but it's just that -- hope. You know, like the Obama signs say. But like Uncle Noam said, I don't have any illusions. Life might be slightly more pleasant in the US, or at least not as batshit insane as it would be under the specter of a Pres. Palin.
>
> About people at Obama rallies: I have heard that at a few rallies when Muslim women were in view behind Obama, wearing hijab (veils or headscarves), campaign folks came out and asked them to move off somewhere else so as not to be in the shot behind Barry-O. Anyone verify this?
>
> -B.

I can't specifically verify this claim but there was a couple at the rally I attended where the woman was wearing a headscarf and they were asked to move to a seat with better viewing which appeared to me to be out of camera shot. Obviously I cannot claim to know any unstated reason for the move but they were asked to move. Also there was some anger that the crowd behind Obama was chosen to appear white working class and there were no Black people on stage behind him. Even some of the volunteers complained loudly about this.

John Thornton