[lbo-talk] Doug's Vote

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 19:23:26 PST 2008

> The idea of standing in solidarity with other minorities carries quite a
> bit of weight with me.
> Even if I lived in a solid blue state I wouldn't snub my nose at the
> majority of the citizens who have historically been so cruelly suppressed
> by not voting for Obama or writing in some nonsensical name.
> Too many people have longed for this day for so many years to rain on
> their parade on election day seems unconscionable to me.
> I live in a state that is going to be close and I voted Obama but my vote
> was an act of solidarity with other minorities as much as anything.
>
> John Thornton

Would that be for my own personal edification, celebrating my "solidarity" in the mirror, or do I go around, announcing my vote to every non-white face I see?

I think that US imperialism should run more and more non-whites for higher office, without changing or challenging the status quo. Tonight is the first step in that direction. A brilliant move, actually.

Dennis