[lbo-talk] Doug's Vote

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 4 19:49:37 PST 2008

Dennis Perrin wrote:
>> The idea of standing in solidarity with other minorities carries
>> quite a bit of weight with me.
>> Even if I lived in a solid blue state I wouldn't snub my nose at the
>> majority of the citizens who have historically been so cruelly
>> suppressed by not voting for Obama or writing in some nonsensical name.
>> Too many people have longed for this day for so many years to rain on
>> their parade on election day seems unconscionable to me.
>> I live in a state that is going to be close and I voted Obama but my
>> vote was an act of solidarity with other minorities as much as anything.
>>
>> John Thornton
>
> Would that be for my own personal edification, celebrating my
> "solidarity" in the mirror, or do I go around, announcing my vote to
> every non-white face I see?
>
> I think that US imperialism should run more and more non-whites for
> higher office, without changing or challenging the status quo. Tonight
> is the first step in that direction. A brilliant move, actually.
>
> Dennis

You personally? Not for any reason I can think of. I'm sure many on this list didn't vote for Obama. Persecution complex?

I accept as a given that any person running for President will be pro-U.S. Empire so I'm ambivalent to that fact. I don't take it as a given that a Black man could be elected President in racist America so I'm not ambivalent to that fact. The criticism of the idea of Obama signaling a sea change in US policy are spot on and I have never felt otherwise. I've supported every criticism of leftists who should know better making extravagant claims for a possible Obama Presidency. That is not to be construed as a criticism of the idea of an Obama Presidency.

Race was a huge factor in my deciding to vote for Obama. As a minority, to be able to vote for a non-white is huge and impossible for me to articulate. The support for Obama among NDN's I know and on the NDN lists I am active on is amazing. The chance to help any of our non-white (and non-odious) brothers reach a position of power is gladly taken. I'm not clear what you mean above. Do you perceive this as a negative? If I were white I would feel uncomfortable telling millions of Black people "I know how important this is to you but I'd rather write in Mickey Mouse or just leave that space blank". Do you perceive this as a negative? Damn, why is race so confusing?

John Thornton