[lbo-talk] brother can you spare a dime?

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Nov 4 23:34:22 PST 2008

It's only nine something, fireworks, screaming cars, wondering weirdos, tonight's the night. Shit. After that long post, I check the news and it was alreay over. I am only half drunk and it is time to go to bed. Damn! I wanted some hang dog slog into the gloom. 330 to 153 or something. That's a landslide. The world is breathing a great sligh of relief and so am I. Yes, motherfuckers, yes.

I kmow Carrol, Doug, Dwayne, the rest are all much cooler and more reserved and circumspect than me. But I am fucking happy. Yes! God damned almighty, YES. Jessie Jackson in tears---so was I, weeping in gratitude for the release of the grip of history. Oh, God I can't breath. That's all I can think of tonight---liberity vanquished. Stupid, infantile or not, I weeped. Can you imagine how proud, we are going to feel, looking at news clips of Obama on the world stage? Urbane, cool, handsome, elegant, we haven't seen that kind of style since Kennedy. Sure the hard core commies warned us against the mask, but god damn it was nice when Andre Malraux presented the Mona Lisa to Jaquilline Kennedy on the dark eve of his sons' death. And god knows, these days, America could use some class.

The car horns are going nuts, I love it. Yes. Si se puede. Julio et al must be loaded and filing through the NYC throng. Keep hope alive, yes keep hope alive.

I am thoroughly non-cynical for the moment. Gin has that effect. Maybe tomorrow I will question it all, but not tonight. Yes. Yeah, good bye assholes, good-bye. I wanted to see the little girls from Biden and Obama kiss and whisper... they didn't. Too bad. It would have been iconic. If nothing else somebody should have staged it. What do I care if any of it is real...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eih67rlGNhU

... They use tell me I was building a dream,

With peace and glory ahead. ... why should I be standing in line, Just waiting for bread?

...once I build a railroad, now it's done, Brother can you spare a Dime?

...once I build a tower, now its done, Brother can you spare a dime?

... oh say don't you remember, I was your buddy Al, It was Al all the time,

Buddy, can you spare a dime?