[lbo-talk] Is prop 8 constitutional?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 18:20:27 PST 2008

Unfortunately Full Faith and Credit seems to be suspended when it comes to marriage. The federal DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) exempts a state from any full faith and credit obligation to any public act, record or judicial proceeding of any other state “respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State ... or a right or claim arising from such relationship.” 28 U.S.C. 1738(c). Don't ask me how a constitutional ex-law prof (Bill C) saw a way to sign that one squaring it with the Supremacy Clause of the US Const. It's survived court challenges and there's a huge law review industry devoted to this question. I can provide the five most-cited pieces if this is wanted.