[lbo-talk] Is prop 8 constitutional?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Nov 5 19:32:47 PST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 9:20 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Unfortunately Full Faith and Credit seems to be suspended when it
> comes to marriage. The federal DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act)
> exempts a state from any full faith and credit obligation to any
> public act, record or judicial proceeding of any other state
> “respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is
> treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State ... or a
> right or claim arising from such relationship.” 28 U.S.C. 1738(c).
> Don't ask me how a constitutional ex-law prof (Bill C) saw a way to
> sign that one squaring it with the Supremacy Clause of the US Const.
> It's survived court challenges and there's a huge law review
> industry devoted to this question. I can provide the five most-cited
> pieces if this is wanted.

I know that DOMA has this facially unconstitutional provision--but how can it have "survived court challenges" when until very recently there were no states performing such marriages, meaning there was nobody to be even a potentially injured party with standing to sue? Are there any Massachusetts-marriage cases, even now, that have resulted in decisions binding on the California Supreme Court? And if not, why shouldn't it follow the plain text of the US Constitution?