[lbo-talk] Helios at LBL

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Nov 7 12:50:15 PST 2008

Thanks to Dwayne for mentioning the Helios project at LBL, check this out:

``Engineered systems: Hybrid nanomaterials and biomimetic systems for solar-to-fuel conversion ...[and solar-to-electric]

Exploration of light-driven generation of ion gradients across membranes as a solar energy storage mode that can be exploited in such bio-inspired supramolecular assemblies, requiring the development of synthetic proton pumps...''

http://pbd.lbl.gov/energy/research.html

The mention of LBL on the other thread, made me go look up current work at LBL. One of my interests really comes down to how to get rid of batteries. So I was looking for something along those lines. The above stood out like a lightening flash...

I am going to assume most of the list has no idea what the above quote means. Hence another lecture. For those who do know what this is about, please correct me. This is some real Arthur C. Clark stuff, and I am mostly over my head.

The basic idea is to creat a bio-molecular-machine like system to replace the currently available `clean' energy systems.

The above subquote, `` light-driven generation of ion gradients...' is essentially about creating a biosynethic battery. The membranes act like the plates in a battery, and the sunlight acts, via the photo-electric effect like the charging electric current from a generator. I am at a lost to explain how the discharge part of the process works. You charge the gradient one way, with sunlight. I think I get that part. How do you pull the charge off the membrane gradient?

Most of the above relates to the next subsection:

Nanomaterials and nanostructured assemblies for photochemical conversion (solar-to-electric and solar-to-fuel conversion)

CG