[lbo-talk] Helios at LBL

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Tue Nov 11 16:35:49 PST 2008

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> The above subquote, `` light-driven generation of ion gradients...' is
> essentially about creating a biosynethic battery. The membranes act
> like the plates in a battery, and the sunlight acts, via the
> photo-electric effect like the charging electric current from a
> generator. I am at a lost to explain how the discharge part of the
> process works. You charge the gradient one way, with sunlight. I think
> I get that part. How do you pull the charge off the membrane gradient?

typically, just like in a battery: hook wires up to the two sides of the membranes (via electrodes) and connect the ends of the wires to a load, like a light bulb. of course, if you try to pull too much current off the cell, its voltage will drop. which means you need arrays of these cells. and the electrode interface is significant, as charge exchange must happen with little loss of energy.

the thing about the proton pump is a little different from standard cells where you are used to liberating electrons. here protons are liberated whilst negative ions drift to the negative electrode. but if you choose that electrode to optimize charge exchange, you will get the electron free of the negative ion, and it will happily flow thru the wire to combine with the lonely proton.

not sure what happens to the hydrogen, need to see specific application.

Les