[lbo-talk] Helios at LBL

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Nov 11 20:07:29 PST 2008

just like in a battery: hook wires up to the two sides of the membranes (via electrodes) and connect the ends of the wires to a load, like a light bulb. les

This cracked me up. Yeah, stupid, I said to myself, just plug the mofo in. Or if it already is plugged in then turn on the ON switch stupid.

The stuff about the proton pumps is far more subtle. I am going to have to contemplate the charge-discharge-recharge cycle for awhile.

``not sure what happens to the hydrogen, need to see specific application.''

Yeah, that's a big potential problem if you think in terms of photosynthesis which produces CO2 as a by product, which is also part of the conceptual model. Hydrogen production is a giant problem with electrolytic batteries. For the non-tech crew, charging a battery produces hydrogen gas, a very high exposive. Here's another Chuck-the-dummie does physics story.

So, I am changing batteries in some shit encrusted wheelchair. My 1/2 wrench drops across two giant group 27 battery terminals to short a 24vdc, 250amp/hr potential. Somebody else do the math for the energy release. Be conservative and figure .05sec as t. The explosion was so big, I literally didn't feel, see, or hear it as it just went off in my face. (The physiological shutdown protection systems of the human body are awesome.) Huge ringing in my ears. I open my eyes to see the batteries now have no cases, plastic and sulfuric acid is everywhere. My face and chest are on fire. A crush of scared people who heard and felt the blast have rushed into the shop and are standing over me. I race to the bathroom and turn on the facets full, washing my face and stripping off my cloths... My physics and chemistry lesson for the day: hydrogen is dangerous. Now, Doctor Seaborg, can I get an A in lab?

On the research side, I am certainly cheered up that somebody at DOE and LBL realizes the existing battery technology is a big problem both in terms of energy efficiency and the environment.

My encounters with physics have all led to one disaster after another. Maybe when it is relevant, I tell the story of how I was in an abandoned optics lab at LBL and tried to turn on a laser... Moral. Don't touch anything you don't understand at LBL.

Thanks for answering...

CG