[lbo-talk] Engels and the Lazy Mexicans, was Re: Obama picks Rahm Emanuel, free trade fanatic & welfare "reformer"

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Nov 7 16:07:23 PST 2008

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:41:34 -0800 (PST) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, does Bakunin throw denunciations at the Americans in their "war of conquest," which, although it may have dealt a heavy blow to his theory based on "justice and humanity," took place exclusively in the interests of civilization?

Fascinating stuff. One wonders how deeply Engels had looked into the Mexican war. I was always under the impression that it was waged in the interests of slavery rather than of civilization. But undoubtedly we do see Engels quite willing to talk a lot like Cecil Rhodes.

I don't find this, by the way, in the Feuerbach book -- it seems to have been an 1849 article by Engels in the Neue Rheinische Zeitung, if we are to believe the archive at mlwerke.de.

Thanks for bringing it to our collective attention.