[lbo-talk] Engels and the Lazy Mexicans, was Re: Obama picks Rahm Emanuel, free trade fanatic & welfare "reformer"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 08:41:34 PST 2008

--- On Thu, 11/6/08, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

> Many thanks -- I'm sure I'm not the only one who
> will
> find this interesting.

Here's one example among dozens. Here's Engels in polemic against Bakunin (twice-translated: German --> Russian --> English):

So, does Bakunin throw denunciations at the Americans in their "war of conquest," which, although it may have dealt a heavy blow to his theory based on "justice and humanity," took place exlusively in the interests of civilization? What is wrong with rich California being torn from the hands of the lazy Mexicans, who have done nothing with it? What is wrong with the energetic Yankees developing the area through rapid exploitation of the gold resources there, concentrating in a short time dense populations on appropriate parts of the Pacific coast and creating big cities...? Of course, the "independence" of a certain number of Californian and Texan Spaniards may have suffered from this; "justice" and other moral principles may have been violated; but what does this matter in comparison to such world-historical facts? (Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Clasical German Philosophy)