[lbo-talk] Juan Cole on Obama on Iran

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Nov 8 00:42:13 PST 2008

[Links in original]

http://www.juancole.com/2008/11/obama-and-iran.html

Informed Comment

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Obama and Iran

President-elect Barack Obama said Friday that "Iran's development of a

nuclear weapon, I believe is unacceptable. . . Iran's support of

terrorist organizations, I think is something that has to cease."

What I cannot understand is why American politicians who speak publicly

on this issue do not at least acknowledge that to the best information

of the American intelligence community, Iran has no nuclear weapons

research program,as opposed to a civilian enrichment research program.

A pdf of the National Intelligence Estimate on this issue is here. The

Bushies and "anonymous senior officials" vowed that the NIE would not

be allowed to enter the national debate on this issue and that they

would ignore it and go on insisting that Iran has a weapons program.

Since they lost, can't we lose the alarmist rhetoric on all this? Some

of the information in the NIE was based on information brought out of

Iran by defectors.

Also, if the only real reason Iran is accused of supporting

international terrorism is its arming of Hizbullah in south Lebanon,

that is a pretty problematic charge. The recent agreement among

political parties in Lebanon recognized Hizbullah as a kind of Lebanese

national guard charged with defending the Lebanese south against

Israeli aggression.The cabinet statement refered to "the right of

Lebanon's people, army, and resistance to liberate the Israeli-occupied

Shebaa Farms, Kafar Shuba Hills, and the Lebanese section of Ghajar

village, and defend the country using all legal and possible means."

The word "resistance" refers to Hizbullah. The European Union has

declined to designate Hizbuallah a terrorist group.

Usually the phrase "supporter of terrorism" conjures up the image of

shadowy groups plotting to blow things up in Vienna or something, not a

militia defending national territory against foreign incursions.

Hizbullah did commit terrorist acts in the 1980s and 1990s, but I'm not

sure what it has done that would technically deserve the name in the

past 10 years.

It would be nice if Washington would itself foreswear all deployment of

terrorist groups to obtain its goals.

Anyway, can't a new administration speak in a more nuanced way about

all this?

<end excerpt>

Michael