[lbo-talk] Katha Pollitt: 4 ways in which Sarah Palin was good for feminism

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 01:10:01 PST 2008

Katha Pollitt wrote, at The Nation piece posted by Michael Pollak:

"So the first way Palin was good for feminism is that she helped us clarify what it isn't: feminism doesn't mean voting for "the woman" just because she's female, and it doesn't mean confusing self-injury with empowerment, like the Ellen Jamesians in The World According to Garp (I'll vote for the forced-childbirth candidate, that'll show Howard Dean!). It isn't just feel-good "you go, girl" appreciation of female moxie, which I cheerfully acknowledge Palin has by the gallon."

...so -- no one learned that after Maggie Thatcher, huh?

I guess Ms. Pollitt never listened to much Crass or indeed any 80s Brit punk, almost every other song of which is anti-Thatcher.

-B.