[lbo-talk] Changier and Changier

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 10:41:39 PST 2008

Julio wrote:

With a different algebraic sign, it's exactly what the extreme Left is doing on these listservs: vociferously asserting that Obama has a mandate, set to lead the country -- no stops -- to full communism. Smart. So now expect the journalists to assault Obama with hardball questions such as: "Mr. President Elect: Shouldn't the country start by distributing the fruits of social labor according to each individual's supply of labor, before we embark in distribution in accordance to needs?" "Isn't it true Mr. President Elect that we need the social consciousness of Americans to grow a bit further before we altogether do away with bourgeois right in distributional matters?"

Julio, who has said that Obama has such a mandate? I haven't read anything remotely like that.

Also, it's unfortunate that you used the phrase "extreme left" to describe a group of people holding a wide variety of opinions. Perhaps the only common thread is a willingness to question the rhetoric of 'last best hope' and ask questions -- of varying degrees of probity -- about the operation and structure of capitalism.

.d.