[lbo-talk] Krugman on why the stimulus should be $600bn minimum

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Nov 10 22:28:49 PST 2008

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/stimulus-math-wonkish/

November 10, 2008, 4:38 pm

Stimulus math (wonkish)

I wrote this morning's column partly because I had a hunch that the

Obama people might be thinking too small on stimulus. Now I have more

than a hunch - I've heard an unreliable rumor! So let's talk about

stimulus math, as I see it.

Actually, before I get to the math, some concepts. Nearly every

forecast now says that, in the absence of strong policy action, real

GDP will fall far below potential output in the near future. In normal

times, that would be a reason to cut interest rates. But interest rates

can't be cut in any meaningful sense. Fiscal policy is the only game in

town.

Wait, there's more. Ben Bernanke can't push on a string - but he can

pull, if necessary. Suppose fiscal policy ends up being too

expansionary, so that real GDP "wants" to come in 2 percent above

potential. In that case the Fed can tighten a bit, and no harm is done.

But if fiscal policy is too contractionary, and real GDP comes in below

potential, there's no potential monetary offset. That means that fiscal

policy should take risks in the direction of boldness.

So what kinds of numbers are we talking about? GDP next year will be

about $15 trillion, so 1% of GDP is $150 billion. The natural rate of

unemployment is, say, 5% -- maybe lower. Given Okun's law, every excess

point of unemployment above 5 means a 2% output gap.

Right now, we're at 6.5% unemployment and a 3% output gap - but those

numbers are heading higher fast. Goldman predicts 8.5% unemployment,

meaning a 7% output gap. That sounds reasonable to me.

So we need a fiscal stimulus big enough to close a 7% output gap.

Remember, if the stimulus is too big, it does much less harm than if

it's too small. What's the multiplier? Better, we hope, than on the

early-2008 package. But you'd be hard pressed to argue for an overall

multiplier as high as 2.

When I put all this together, I conclude that the stimulus package

should be at least 4% of GDP, or $600 billion.

That's twice what the unreliable rumor says. So if there's any truth to

the rumor, my advice to the powers that be (or more accurately will be

in a couple of months) is to think hard - you really, really don't want

to lowball this.