[lbo-talk] Uncritical Exuberance?

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Nov 12 20:50:47 PST 2008

Charles, I had forgotten about your ability to make a strong argument by ignoring any contrary evidence. I would note that the very act of worrying indicates that Butler sees possibility in the election (keeping in mind that hope is, in the Spinozist sense, an oscillation between joy and fear) You'll notice that Dennis isn't particularly worried about what will occur in the future, which is a result precisely because of his absence of hope. I think this oscillation is extremely rational, especially after the Clinton administration. Ultimately, the tenor of the administration will be defined by the amount of popular pressure put on it through social movements. What will occur in that realm can't really be predicted. robert wood