[lbo-talk] Gay marriage

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Nov 12 20:59:39 PST 2008

> Why would anyone want identical legal protections going under two
> different names, one for heterosexual couples and one for homosexual
> couples?
> What benefit could one possibly derive from this circumstance?
>
> John Thornton

The part of me that likes imaginary and completely unrealistic solutions to problems that would never occur in this country for decades would simply say that we should get rid of state marriage altogether and just give domestic partnerships and let folks negotiate marriage as they see fit, but as I said, not going to happen. However, this would be an egalitarian solution.

On the other hand, the more I think about the issue the more I like the idea of gay marriage, precisely because it could contribute to a process of undermining traditional marriage, which pretty much a vile, patriarchal tradition that should be killed off as quickly as humanly possible. It would add to a process that has turned marriage from an exchange of women as property, to one that is focused on creating structures of mutual aid... or is that just my optimism getting the better of me...

robert wood