[lbo-talk] Gay marriage

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Nov 12 23:26:13 PST 2008

At 8:59 PM -0800 12/11/08, wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

> On the other hand, the more I think about the issue the more I like
>the idea of gay marriage, precisely because it could contribute to a
>process of undermining traditional marriage, which pretty much a
>vile, patriarchal tradition that should be killed off as quickly as
>humanly possible. It would add to a process that has turned
>marriage from an exchange of women as property, to one that is
>focused on creating structures of mutual aid... or is that just my
>optimism getting the better of me...

Extending the franchise of marriage probably doesn't do much to undermine it. Dunno how you work that out.

And although marriage is, as you say, a vile patriarchal tradition, women as a rule are big fans. Well, big fans of the wedding ceremony anyhow. I suppose it isn't quite the same thing.

This is a good opportunity again plug the great Australian movie 'Muriel's Wedding'. Which deals with this obsession. A real classic bit of social commentary. You might need to watch it a few times, but it is no chore to do so. Especially for ABBA fans.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas