[lbo-talk] Why Blacks opposed Prop 8 -- and a simple way to turn them?

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 09:52:49 PST 2008

Doug asked:

Is [William Saletan] the jackass who was promoting genetic/racial theories of IQ not all that long ago?

Yes, he is.

I wrote about his dark night of the liberal soul regarding race here:

"The Discussion of Black IQs Considered as a Downhill Auto Race"

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2007/2007-November/022210.html>

Perhaps it's unfair, but after his Slate series on 'Black IQs', I'm inclined to think of him as a clever idiot.

His statistical information seems impressive; he even quotes the National Black Justice Coalition to add a patina of super legitimacy ('look, a black LGBT group is saying this, not me!').

Still, as Miles points out, none of that supports Saletan's conclusion we should throw more science at the reluctant till they 'get it'.

I've been a Future Science Jesus my entire life and have convinced precisely one person of something using 'data'. Dorene's right: alliance building is key.

.d.