[lbo-talk] Why Blacks opposed Prop 8 -- and a simple way

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Nov 14 17:59:01 PST 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 17:10:40 -0800 (PST) Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> However, I would certainly appreciate feedback from people who are actually, like, afro-american. (Charles? Dwayne?)

Afro-American I ain't, but a white southerner (now living in New York) I am. For what it's worth, my own personal experience supports the idea that white southerners and American blacks have a lot in common culturally. It's not just the churches we went to when we were kids, or our terrifying grandmothers -- our sense of humor is very similar. I find that observations of mine which earn, at best, an astringent persimmony glare among my white liberal West Side neighbors, are quite likely to rouse a very gratifying horselaugh in Harlem.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org