[lbo-talk] Bonds and the Economy

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 06:51:32 PST 2008

Your point 2 is exactly the same as the author and the risky investments are not derivatives etc. but the type of investments you speak of in point one. Surely the author is right. Banks are reluctant to lend for reason 2 namely the high yield and safety of Treasury Bills. This explains why credit is still tight as the author maintains. Even ordinary everyday investment appears more risky than T Bills and not worth risking when T Bills yield well and are safe.

Surely the fundamentalism you speak of causes a lack of investment opportunity due to the ultimate lack of demand. This lack was in fact recognised resulting in programs such as stimulating demand by lending for mortgages to people who could not pay and who were suckered with poison pill mortgages whose terms worsened with time. These were pushed by promoters and then bundled and sold as high quality paper instead of toxic waste. This is fundamental greed rather than market fundamentalism and is based upon marketing the US dream of home ownership and using government policy to subsidize the dream because that is the only way the dream produces the reality of profit. As any libertarian will tell you market fundamentalism is the last thing the US really stands for. It is simply ideological rhetoric useful at times but at others to be thrown overboards as it is now.

cheers k hanly

Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html