[lbo-talk] A lefty James Bond?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Nov 16 20:59:08 PST 2008

Dunno if this is true (I refused to read past this opening paragraph to avoid reading spoilers), but it did make me curious to see it:

http://www.juancole.com/2008/11/quantum-of-anti-imperialism.html

A Quantum of Anti-Imperialism

The reviews of director Marc Forster's "Quantum of Solace" have

complained about the film's hectic pace (reminiscent of Doug Liman's

and Paul Greengrass's Bourne thrillers), about the humorlessness of

Daniel Craig's Bond, and even about the squalid surroundings, so unlike

Monaco and Prague, in which the film is set (with many scenes in Haiti

and Bolivia). They have missed the most remarkable departure of all.

Forster presents us with a new phenomenon in the James Bond films, a

Bond at odds with the United States, who risks his career to save Evo

Morales's leftist regime in Bolivia from being overthrown by a General

Medrano, who is helped by the CIA and a private mercenary organization

called Quantum. In short, this Bond is more Michael Moore than Roger

Moore.

<end lede>

Michael