[lbo-talk] A lefty James Bond?

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 22:03:06 PST 2008

I don't think there are any spoilers here, but...

I wouldn't call him "lefty" but it is a unique version of the genre. If anything, the most unique part is that there really are no good guys to root for, save Bond. It's all a much murkier moral situation.

Bond doesn't risk his career for a leftist cause, but it could be said he is still naive to what his duty to the queen and instead seems more interested in pursuing what seems to be right in a bad situation--which happens to correspond to his desire for revenge following the end of the last film. Morales isn't mentioned by name, but the CIA's complaisance and bumbling ignorance (on full display in the Ackroyd-esque operative that is the station chief calling the shots) about the basics of the local situation, save the simple labels they can apply and their hunger for control over resources and power, are pretty universal. I am no movie critic, though, so--outside of saying that, in the broad outlines, Cole's is pretty on target--I'll wait to hear the Proyect pronouncement on what to make of this emotive version of the spy movie.