[lbo-talk] Why Blacks opposed Prop 8 -- and a simple way

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 19:05:48 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

Even the proposition that "black people are, as a eneral rule,
> are darker complected than whites," would be misleading.

Somewhat true. Many years ago, when I worked at a Virginia summer camp, we Italians and Poles (who worked on the waterfront) challenged the black employees (who worked in the kitchen) to your basic "who has more pigment?" contest. And of course, we won.

But if we're speaking of "general rules," your statement might still hold firm.

Then again, maybe that's why "general rules" are rarely very useful.