[lbo-talk] Conservative Mona Charen thinks new Bond film is too leftist

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Nov 18 14:12:35 PST 2008

On Tue, November 18, 2008 11:58 am, Peter Ward wrote:

> Actually pop film and literature is surprisingly left-wing.

Best-kept secret of 2008: the Resistance doesn't merely influence the videogame culture. We OWN the videogame culture. It's more than just the fact that stupendous works of art like Max Payne, Final Fantasy 12 or Metal Gear Solid 4 are also platinum bestsellers. Rockstar's massively popular Grand Theft Auto 4 features Glukoza sound-tracks and takes down the petro-fundamentalists with a flamethrower. Even seemingly innocent, mainstream first-person shooters like Insomniac's "Resistance 2" are chockful of anti-colonial and anti-imperial history. (I'm doing a little writeup on R2, will post it in the December issue of Uplink.)

There's also some fascinating geopolitical history at work here -- videogames are registering, for reasons I don't claim to fully understand, the rebellion against neoliberalism, in ways other media industries do not. Again, more on this in the next Uplink...

-- DRR