[lbo-talk] Deathbed conversion of Gramsci

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 21:34:14 PST 2008

I have at various moments of desperation prayed to the Nonexistent One(s). Sometimes I have promised to believe in him, them, whoever, if I make it through. But then I never know which ones to believe in.

I prefer the Greek gods, Aphrodite especially:

We will pray to Aphrodite Though she's fleety and she's flighty Cause she wears that see-through nighty And it's good enough for me

Gimme that ol' time religion . . . .

(A Pete Seeger contribution)

I have a lot of Aphrodite . . . what do you call it. Stuff. Mousepad. Fridge magnets. Screen saver. Raphael's Venus of Urbino, if you care; she is, needless to say, red hot. (Not at the office.)

Raphael apparently screwed all of his female models, almost all of whom were gorgeous. Lucky sucka. Died young. Michelangelo lived a very long life and apparently suffered intense homoerotic frustation for almost all of it as well as manic-depression. You can pick which life you'd like.

I occasionally offer libations to Aphrodite. And thanks for her bounty.

I know that as a person of Jewish descent I am enjoined not to have any other gods before Adonai, but the girl in the see-through nightie has done a lot more to make my life worth living, far as I can tell.