[lbo-talk] SEIU's Andy Stern throws former protege to the wolves

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 29 13:03:50 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

>> I'm all for promoting Labor Notes. Of course, Jim Straub will call you
> a weenie.

I agree. (About Labor Notes, not about weenies.) But for about a decade now I have seriously wondered if the union-model (in all of its past forms) has not become obsolete. Only wondered, not conlcuded, because I have not the foggiest idea what might replace it. But the increasing weakness of all unions, and the increasing relative strength "business" unions (which approach being aggressively anti-worker) justifies wondering I think. Note that for the most part the SEIU defenders on this list very rarely participate _except_ to defend the SEIU. What kind of leftists are they, and what remains of the connection between unions (as they now exist) and leftist concerns?

Carrol