[lbo-talk] the Bush style of clemency: love your gun

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 11:39:12 PST 2008

Matt wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:50:18PM +1100, Bill Bartlett wrote:
>

>> The way everyone is talking, I thought the only issue was an
>> over-emphasis by bush on pardoning people who wanted to own guns.
>>

> I reckon these working class folks who like to hunt just aren't the
> _Right Kind Of People_, and so some may see these pardons as
> inappropriate.
>
> In addition to not being able to own guns, their convictions also
> include being subject to searches and seizures and all orders of
> harassment.
>
> Good for them for working the shitty system in whatever way possible
> to get back what was taken from them.
>

> Matt

An argument can easily be made that the people most likely to receive Shrub's pardon, white, blue collar, gun loving, church goers are the ones who least deserve such a pardon. They are overwhelmingly the ones who approve of the draconian measures of loss of voting rights, teaching certification, etc for those with felony convictions. Perhaps if they were left to stew in the shit of their own creation it would serve to change their minds and the minds of those around them. The system is shitty in part to cater to their prejudices. By granting them pardons you simply reinforce their view that "the system works", after all they're good people and see, they had their rights restored. How many of these working class folks would believe that a minority urban dweller is just as "deserving" of a pardon as they are? If you favor such draconian measures you should be subject to them. Give them what they claim they want and make them fucking choke on it.

John Thornton