[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on the politics of the crisis

James Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:19:39 PDT 2008

I wonder why African-Americans are supporting Obama, then? At a greater rate than supported Jesse Jackson or any other politician since? When I was helping out with an SEIU campaign in LA this summer, I asked one of my fellow organizers--- a queer black woman in her late 20s with a background in radical politics--- what she thought about the things Obama's said on this topic. Her response was, "He's not saying anything working-class black people aren't saying to each other, in churches and at home. If another politician were to say those things, people would be angry. But because of his background, alot of people are actually kind of happy to hear a mainstream politician they don't have to oppose saying this kind of thing."

I agree that rhetoric about the 'black underclass' is right-wing messaging 101. But there are also real issues at play in that community, and whether they get examined by Obama or the Wire of Julius Wilson or Dyson, my impression is that the black community has mixed feelings about this stuff. A ton of black voters in Philadelphia voted for Micahel Nutter over Chaka Fatah because Nutter promised to start a stop and frisk cop policy that would obviously profile young black men, because the homicide rate is so high between young black men that people are desperate to support anything that gets rid of some of the plethora of handguns. The surge in violence in the hood, especially in declining cities, isn't imaginary, and it kills more poor young men than police brutality does by a huge factor. My housemate Brian (a kitchen worker from a teamster family who has no health insurance) was mugged by a couple corner boys the other night, and after knocking him out they still beat him while he was unconscious, till he was unrecognizably disfigured. The same night another friend of mine in Cinci was mugged and pistol-whipped until she lost a bunch of teeth. The black folks over 30 on the block are really pretty outspoken about the extremes the violence has been getting to lately. Some 14 year olds on this street somehow got some semi-automatic pistols, and they've been using them to play 'tag' from opposite sides of the street.

Certainly, I myself would support the sorts of social measures a scholar like Elijah Anderson proposes, instead of Nutter's stop and frisk program and Obama's opportunistic focus on poor blacks' supposed failings of responsibility. But I think the attitudes reflected by Obama's comments on this subject are more complex than Adolph Reed's anti-Obama narrative can acknowledge.