[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on the politics of the crisis

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Oct 1 15:15:06 PDT 2008

At 10:17 AM 10/1/2008, rayrena wrote:

> > i've always seen him as speaking to people who want
> > radical change, with the primary target being the
> > elimination of capitalism. people who under most
> > circumstances recognize that the change isn't going to
> > come about through electoral politics. ("under most"
> > because in years divisible by four, they get
> > distracted....)
>
>Then why does he criticize people for not being practical,
>i.e., for not coming up with some sort of alternative
>bailout plan? Practicality in a capitalist society is always
>capitalist practicality. Why does he insist on other people
>saving the very thing he wants eliminated?

it may be the stress from work, which is making me physically ill at the mo', but i don't understand your question.

in his original piece, he criticized people for being opportunists with regard to obama. he criticized them for falling in love with the guy, buying into empty rhetoric about hope. he criticized them for not being able to think strategically and tactically about elections.

it seems to me that this latest missive to doug is similar: people are criticizing the bailout, pushing for all kinds of pie-in-the sky reforms or simply projecting on the bailout revolt some kind of grand awakening among the masses (like people project onto obama's candidacy the vision of a leftist biding his time, saying the right things to get elected whereupon he'll take off the clark kent duds and transform himself into Magic NegroMan and save the world).

but they aren't thinking about any of it strategically and tactically. albeit galbraith seems to be iyam.

but again, i welcome corrections because the double negative above is fucking with me pea brain at the mo'