[lbo-talk] House rejects bailout

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 08:01:30 PDT 2008

----- Original Message ---- From: Dmytri Kleiner <dk at telekommunisten.net> things, retirement account balances are just numbers in a database, buying or refinancing homes is just artifacts of the need for housing, neither are needs of themselves.

[WS:]  Well, if it is so, would you mind sending me a cashier's check for USD 8,000 that just vanished from my retirement account?  Or make it even $10k - after all it just a number in a database with no real impact on you, but it will help me buying some nutrition etc. that I really need.

And while we are at that, would you mind sending another $100k to an acquaintance of mine whose home is being foreclosed?  That would help her staying in her house instead of giving it to her mortgage company.  Evidently the bastards did not get the memo that the mortgage is really just a number in a database and insist on her vacating the premises.  She is not a spring chicken anymore and sleeping on friends' couches or in a substandard Section 8 apartment would be detrimental to her health.  Wojtek

--------------------------------------------------------------- "When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost. [...] All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men." - HL Mencken ----------------------------------------------------------------