[lbo-talk] question for those opposed to the bailout

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 4 15:20:10 PDT 2008

On Oct 4, 2008, at 4:59 PM, shag wrote:

> i was following the conversations, but i never got a good handle on
> why people were opposed to the bailout. i am trying to see if i can
> sum of the various classes of argument, and you can correct me:
>
> for some, it was obviously that the bailout was crap because it
> wasn't radical enough. we should have used this as an opportunity to
> force wall st types and their lackeys in congress to make important
> changes to the system that would redistribute wealth downward.
>
> for some, it was that we shouldn't support the bailout because we
> should allow the crisis to happen and this would provide fertile
> grounds for radical social change.
>
> what were some other arguments?

Well, for starters, never in memory has George Bush said anything significant that wasn't a lie. The Stewart/Colbert show had a split screen of Ubu describing the need for immediate action to ward off a terrible threat--on the one side Iraqi WMDs, on the other the bankers ramp. The language of the two was virtually identical.

Shane Mage

Shane Mage

"This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 30