[lbo-talk] Mau-Mauing the Flak-Catchers

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 06:04:24 PDT 2008

Wojtek, it wasn't me, but Tom Wolfe who titled his essay, 'Mau-Mauing the flak-catchers'. I cited it aware that Wolfe's argument was a right-wing argument against welfare scroungers, but hoping to show that it was the bankers who were welfare scroungers.

It is true that the Kikuyu rebels did not call themselves Mau Mau, but nor it seems did they think of it as an insult. Bildad Kaggia, a leader of the revolt, writes of the Mau Mau movement, (on p 113 of his 1975 memoir, for example).

Whether any of that makes me an British imperialist, anti-Semitic Euro-Nazi, I could not say.

But on your argument that the bailout is snake oil, or magic charms, I have to concur.

Tatar sauce, anyone?