[lbo-talk] Mau-Mauing the Flak-Catchers

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Oct 7 06:31:04 PDT 2008

>>> "James Heartfield" <>
Wojtek, it wasn't me, but Tom Wolfe who titled his essay, 'Mau-Mauing the flak-catchers'. I cited it aware that Wolfe's argument was a right-wing argument against welfare scroungers, but hoping to show that it was the bankers who were welfare scroungers.

It is true that the Kikuyu rebels did not call themselves Mau Mau, but nor it seems did they think of it as an insult. Bildad Kaggia, a leader of the revolt, writes of the Mau Mau movement, (on p 113 of his 1975 memoir, for example).

Whether any of that makes me an British imperialist, anti-Semitic Euro-Nazi, I could not say.

But on your argument that the bailout is snake oil, or magic charms, I have to concur.

Tatar sauce, anyone?

^^^^^ CB: Speaking of magic charms and the Kenyan connection, Keith O had a video tape of an African man saying a charm over VP Palin to prevent her from being a witch. This man was from Kenya , too. There he had chased away a witch from one town.

Recall that Bush accused Reagan of voo-doo economics. This might be a basis for blaming Africans for trickling down the current financial crisis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wolfe

1970 he published two essays in book form in Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers: "These Radical Chic Evenings," a biting account of a party given by Leonard Bernstein to raise money for the Black Panther Party, and "Mau-Mauing The Flak Catchers," about the practice of using racial intimidation ("mau-mauing") to extract funds from government welfare bureaucrats ("flak catchers"). The phrase "radical chic" soon became a popular derogatory term for upper class leftism. In 1977, Mauve Gloves & Madmen, Clutter & Vine hit bookstores; embodying one of Wolfe's more famous essays, "The Me Decade and the Third Great Awakening."