[lbo-talk] Gallup on bailout

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Oct 8 17:07:48 PDT 2008

At 6:50 PM +0100 8/10/08, Lenin's Tomb wrote:

>This isn't coming from today's federal budget. It is going to be paid for
>by increased taxation, mostly on the working class. They call it
>'tightening your belt'.

The working classes don't pay taxes, so any increased taxes will be paid by the employing class. The employing class may attempt to reduce wages in response, in order to maintain profit levels. But I think that we have to assume they would have found another excuse to try to minimise wages if increased taxes were not available.

Increased taxes is not something the working class have to fear then. It is reduced government expenditure on social infrastructure that might result from squandering tax revenue on subsidies to favoured capitalists. And even then, this is only likely to result in uncontrollable pressure to pay higher wages to compensate, so squeezing profit even further.

These economic fundamentals need to be understood by those who squark about increased taxes on the working class.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas