[lbo-talk] C-Span

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Oct 9 09:49:13 PDT 2008

>>> "Jordan Hayes"

Guilty-as-charged: channel surfing in a hotel is the worst. But I just

watched a pretty good panel put together by the Committee for a Responsible Budget at the National Press Club today

^^^ CB: I saw this too. I even took notes ^^^^.

Maya MacGuineas was the moderator. Dean Baker, Martin Baily (former Clinton CEA Chairman), Mark Zandi Chief Economist from from Moody's economy.com, ^^^ Zandi predicted a global recession until next summer

^^^

Rob Dugger Managing Director at Tudor (hedge fund),

^^^^ CB: This guy blamed the financial crisis on the current accounts deficit, the Henry Liu dollar hegemony/Michael Hudson super imperialism phenomenon. He said the other countries cut lending because of all the toxicity in the loan packages so much talked about now.

^^^^^^^

Tim Adams, Former Treasury Undersecretary for International Affairs under Bush ... ^^^ CB: This guy saw regional economic blocs forming around the world.

^^^^

very interesting set of opinions.

One of the questions that came from the audience was: why not just form

a US "Soverign Wealth Fund" ... :-)

One of them gave a pointer to this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/business/economy/08leonhardt.html

health care, nothing else matters: we're screwed.

It's available to watch on the web:

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/project/economy/econ100808_budget.rm

/jordan

^^^^^