[lbo-talk] Chomsky interview

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 10 15:45:41 PDT 2008

Charles Brown wrote:

> http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,583454,00.html
>
> SPIEGEL: Is there nothing about McCain that appeals to you?
>
> Chomsky: In one aspect he is more honest than his opponent. He
> explicitly states that this election is not about issues but about
> personalities. The Democrats are not quite as honest even though they
> see it the same way.
>
> ^^^
> CB: Chomsky has this pretty much backwards.

I don't think so. Most US elections are about personalities rather than issues. While we're repeatedly told the economy looms large in peoples voting decision their decisions as to who is more qualified to do anything about the economy is, from what I can see, based on who has the best personality/temperment to deal with this crisis rather than who has the better grasp of the economics involved or has the better team of experts to attack the problem. Saying the Repubs. are more honest about this is incorrect however since McCain does not explicitly state the election is not about issues. I doubt many Repubs. are stating that this election is explicitly not about issues either.

John Thornton