[lbo-talk] At one with my inner herbivore

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 01:28:53 PDT 2008

I haven't read Pollan, so I can't comment on that. However, I think that a lot of this understanding of the world is based on a medium to medium-long view of history (which corresponds to a few human generations to a few hundred years at most -- a long time for human communities but fuckall in relation to nature). In that timespan, nature can appear harmonious and cyclic, but if you extend it a bit you start to get into statistical likelihoods of plagues, natural disasters, and so forth, which are not harmonious at all (except in the VERY long term).